My name is Angelika. I am originally from Germany and have been living in New Zealand for nearly 30 years. I grew up in a family and culture (Siebenbuerger Germans) where dancing was a big part of their social life and enjoyment. ‘Dancing is in my blood’ so to speak. For the last 14 years, I have been learning and dancing the Argentine Tango in Buenos Aires, Europe and New Zealand.
As everything in life, Tango also starts with the first step.
Big classes are not for everyone. I, therefore, offer individual lessons, tailored to your level of skills.
Who can benefit from my private lessons?
My private lessons are suitable for all levels, couples, for leaders who would like to get a better understanding of the follower’s role or would like to learn to follow; for followers who would like to learn how to lead. It is always beneficial to your own dance to understand the opposite part.
In fact, my lessons are suitable for both, followers or leaders who would like to bring more style, sensitivity, self-expression and sensitivity to their dance.
For those who contemplate to learn the Tango and for the beginners:
Once you have learned the Tango walk which is not much different to the normal walk and the Tango embrace, you can dance Tango.
There is no need for fancy moves which you may see in performances and videos in order to dance Tango.
The leader LEADS and the follower FOLLOWS. This is a basic principal in Tango at the beginner’s level. And this will/can change at the advanced level.
For the next level(s) up:
Tango is an ongoing process of refining a skill which includes body awareness of your own physicality (in the dance) and being mindful of what is occurring in the connection to your dance partner. This applies to both, the follower and the leader.
I am teaching:
1. beginners moves such as walking, the ‘cross’ position, giro, forwards and backwards ochos
2. woman’s technique
3. man’s technique
What is the focus in my private lessons?
For all levels the focus will also be on:
1. enhancing the quality of your presence in the dance
2. the connection and the embrace
3. body awareness and alignment
4. developing a better awareness of your own and your dance partner’s energy and
5. learning about the energy of the ‘walk’ and how to ‘take charge’ (for the leader)
What do I bring to a Tango lesson?
1. 14 years of dancing Tango as a follower and 10 years as a leader
2. the ability to lead and the ability to follow. I, therefore, can teach both parts and give feedback to my students from both roles/perspectives
3. my experience as a Tai Chi practitioner which includes body awareness, body alignment and sensitivity
4. my experience as a Psychotherapist. I draw on this in particular when I teach couples, and only when it is requested by the couple. This can include an awareness of the connection on an emotional level.
5. my passion for the dance.
To me, Tango is a way of expressing respect and care.
Where are the lessons held?
At this stage, I provide the lessons from my home/business which is located at Narrow Neck, North Shore, Auckland.
I am available for lessons on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
For further inquiries please contact me on
M: 0211296372 or
Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction.